Haha, below is the final copy of my reflection for YSS. Thought I should let you all take a look =).
Yishun Secondary School is the place that gave me most of my motivations to strive on and to achieve my best. Most importantly, my main motivation comes from the support by my family. My parents had only expected me to pass my exams and to be self-sufficient, but seeing how hard they work to makes me want to excel in the meritocratic society. In Yishun Secondary School, I received help and guidance from my hardworking teachers. My teachers painstakingly prepare interactive lessons and try very hard to engage our interest in the subjects, with this in mind; I realize I need to be responsible for my own learning. I am really thankful to my teachers, for the encouragements when I am in the bottom pit of my academics, giving us extra lessons when we are in doubt and all the care that I have received. In addition, Yishun Secondary School is also the place that my best friends and I met. We met each other since secondary one, and they are the ones who make me want to work hard. My friends offered me a lot of their time to help me with my studies when I was on the verge of giving up and that is why I want to be better; to reciprocate their kindness. We shared many fond memories such as playing basketball in the courts, chatting in the class during breaks and eating in the canteen.
The decision to go to a junior college only came after the release of the o’level results in 2007. My reason is because I do not have a clear vision of what is my preferred field if I choose the polytechnic route. All the people around me know that my greatest fear is English language; which becomes the greatest concern when I choose to go to a junior college because of the notorious General Paper. This is not the only hurdle I met in my first year in Yishun Junior College. I missed out three months of academic time because I did not participate in the JC experience. So when I went to school in April, I was at a disadvantage. I attended bridging lessons for my subject combination: H2 Chemistry, H2 Mathematics, H2 Physics and H1 Economics. However, I managed to catch up with the learning methodology which I had picked up during my time in YSS. It consists of three steps: 1. listening attentively in class, 2. Ask questions whenever in doubt, 3. Doing and handing in homework punctually. Another study tip that I had picked up in YJC is to revise using the learning objectives stated in the Ten Years Series as the examiners will not be able to test outside the learning objectives. Of course, they will stretch the questions such that it involve tough application questions, if you have spare time you can still read outside your curriculum in order to tackle them.
Okay, Mrs Simmi suggested me to add in a last paragraph such that this reflection becomes motivating... It is very embarassing to put it up but hope it will achieve the purpose.
I achieved 6As for my H2 Chemistry, H2 Mathematics, H2 Physics, H1 Economics, H1 Project Work and H1 Mother Tongue and a B for my H1 General Paper in the 2009 A’ level examination. This year, I will be reading the Accountancy and Business double degree programme in Nanyang Technological University – Nanyang Business School. I can assure you that hard work will definitely pay off, build up the momentum to seek and strive to achieve your lifelong goals during your time in secondary school. Ultimately, you will soar.